Saturday, August 13, 2005

My Experience With Carico

I haven't posted on this site for awhile because I've been so busy preparing for school and planning my wedding. I blog a lot of my stuff on Xanga because that is what the majority of my friends use and read. I like keeping them up to date on everything. But, the last thing I posted on there was blog-worthy of being on my more serious blog site. This one. So, I am posting it here too. I hope that anyone else who has had trouble with shady dealings with marketing groups can benefit from what I have learned. I am actually grateful that I ended up going through this because it is a life lesson that I won't need to learn later on. Yes, I was quite lucky indeed.

Blessings.





Life is one hell of a trip...

Really.

I think, perhaps, I have learned one of my greatest lessons of all: RESEARCH EVERYTHING. And, thank God, I didn't have to learn it the hard way. In fact, I feel rather proud of myself for getting through the whole ordeal quite well. And, for doing my research all by myself with perfect timing. Well, almost perfect. I could've avoided the whole situation completely, but I took the plunge. In the end, I came out on top instead of getting swamped.

I entered a contest through one of my bridal magazines for a free all inclusive honeymoon package and 100 rolls of Kodak film (since I looooove taking pictures!). And, Aaron and I were selected as one of six couples who won. All I had to do was show up with Aaron or my mother at the Hilton Garden to listen to them talk about their products for two hours. Didn't have to buy anything at all. So, I thought that was pretty fair. They didn't tell me who was marketing their products, but it turned out to be a group like Cutco, except they sell more than knives. They're called Carico. Which I didn't know until the night I went.

I really liked their products, and I must say that I still think they're good. However, they are very pricey like any marketing company. They have to mark it up to make a profit. But, I thought I'd get the smallest set of stainless steel pots and pans. They have a wonderful lifetime guarantee, which is the main reason I signed up for it that night, besides the fact that the special deals for that night ONLY were wonderful. I would get 4 place settings of china, crystal stemware, flatware, a $200 discount, and an additional vacation - a cruise in the Bahamas. I thought, it would be alright. I wasn't going to charge it. I was planning to put it on lay away. Meaning, after I paid the down payment, I only had to pay $30 a month until it was paid off. I thought that was pretty safe. I felt a little bad because Aaron wasn't there to make the decision with me. And, I prayed that he wouldn't mind. My mom said that if he really didn't like the idea, I could pass it off to her because she loved the cookware. I thought that would make it completely safe for me. And, it would help us establish a credit line (which we have to do sometime) without having to pay interest. The only thing that didn't sit well with me was that they had me intitial this little circle that said I waived my right to cancel my order. I didn't think I was going to cancel so I didn't think anything of it. And, they passed over it so quickly, and I was so tired that I didn't really care.

But, that night, I began to feel sick to my stomach. This horrible sick and nauseous feeling continued throughout the next day. So, yesterday, I went on the internet and did some research. Which, again thank God, I followed my gut. Quite literally. The Holy Spirit tends to let me know when something isn't quite right by making me feel sick. Comes in quite handy, actually.

I went to a website that was all about complaints filed against Carico. The only problem people had with the company was the fact that they ILLEGALLY tried to make people believe that they had to waive their right to cancel their order. They didn't have any problem with the cookware's quality. Yes it is pricey, but it lasts forever with the lifetime guarantee. One person had even owned it for twenty years and hadn't even had to replace one pot. However, I was concerned with their shady little act to get me to waive my rights. So I dug. I discovered that under the Federal Trade Commisions "Cooling-Off Rule" (Full name: Rule Concerning Cooling-Off Period for Sales Made at Homes or at Certain Other Locations; 16 CFR Part 429), I have by law the right to cancel my order within three business days of the transaction. I also found tips from other people who had cancelled their orders. I found four main addresses that I would need to mail certified mail with the cancellation form to, just to be completely safe and sure that my money would be refunded if I wanted to cancel. Certified mail will hold up in a court if the company doesn't fulfill their part of the contract. Which in this case, would be refunding my deposit. Certified mail gives the date and time at which you mail the letters. Proof that I mailed the letters within the first three days. I got ahold of the Better Business Bureau (BBB) of Minnesota and North Dakota. They told me that if Carico gave me any trouble or if they didn't refund my money within ten days of my cancellation, I could file a complaint to them, the Minnesota Attorney General, and the Federal Trade Commission. Carico would be forced by them to refund my money, and their good standing would go down with their memberships at the Minneapolis Chamber of Commerce and the BBB. Which, would be very bad for Carico's business. If I canceled.

I didn't really want to cancel because I like the products in spite of the company's selling ethics. But, Aaron called me that same day. I talked to him about it. He didn't give me a flat out no. He was surprised, not angry or disappointed, but he wanted to wait on it until he could ask his mom for advice and do some of his own research. He told me to pass it off to my mom for a few months so that he could decide if we wanted them or not. If he thought it was fine, he'd let me know and we'd pay my mom back. He wasn't sure if we'd have enough money because the National Guard is making him pay for a lot of required gear that he wasn't planning on having to buy. These hidden costs might keep us from being able to make payments on the cookware. I agreed to send him information as to why I wanted the pots so much, and he said he'd make a decision based from that and from some of his own research.

But, I didn't feel good about it even after I talked to Aaron. I thought that because I hadn't talked to Aaron, that was the reason I felt so sick. The feeling still wouldn't go away. I figured it was the Holy Spirit's way of telling me not to go through with the order. So, I decided that I needed to cancel. Because I'd gotten into this mess, I was going to get myself out smartly. I did my homework. I had all the information I needed. I could cancel the order, and all my problems caused by this would disappear.

Only catch? The saleswoman that had helped me with my order had accidently kept my order form. The cancellation forms are on the back of that form. So, right away, I called their office in Minneapolis and said that I would stop by to pick it up. I didn't tell them that I was going to cancel because I didn't want them to find a reason to say that my order form had gotten "lost" or anything like that. So, I packed up my copy of the Cooling-Off Rule, my voucher for the extra free vacation, and the phone numbers of the BBB, Attorney General, and the FTC. Just in case they hassled me, I was prepared to let them know that I knew my rights and that I would report them immediately and fight for my money - which is mine because I followed procedure.

I picked up the order form today, and waited until it was in my hands before I told them I was cancelling. The woman's face fell when I told her and she said she had to go get her boss. Two more women came out and asked me why I wanted to cancel. I said that my fiancé had called me the yesterday and told me to cancel. He didn't want the pots (which was sort of a lie). And, I said that I didn't think a big rift in our relationship over pots was worth it, even though I like them. They agreed, and took back the voucher and said they'd cancel my order. I asked, "Is that I all I need to do to cancel?" They said that I didn't need to do anything more. I wonder if they thought I was stupid. Because, I'm not. I knew exactly what the cancellation form said on the back. "To cancel your order, you must send this signed form to our office..." They didn't have me sign anything! So, I kept my thoughts to myself, and felt quite smart indeed.

I headed to Office Max to make copies of the cancellation forms because it says in the contract that I can make copies of the form and send them in. I filled them out and addressed four enevelopes to the four main addresses for the company. My mom took me to the post office and I paid specially for certified mail, and had little green cards put on the back of each letter that will be sent back to me telling me that the letters were received. It also guarentees that I can use my receipts from the certified mail to make my case in court if the company disputes refunding my money. The date and time were printed on the letters...and I felt free. My "sickness" immediately lifted. I felt so good! I could actually eat again, and had an appetite. God was gracious. I'm glad that I am fearfully and wonderfully made by my Creator. I am glad that I am the kind of person that researches everything. I've got a business head on my shoulders, my grandma says. Which is probably true; I am a Internation Relations major after all!! The only reason I hadn't checked out Carico was because I didn't know that they were the ones selling the products, and I wasn't planning on buying anything. I still have my free all inclusive resort honeymoon and the voucher for 100 free rolls of Kodak film. I'm out twenty bucks (for the letters), but what I gained in experience is priceless. I'm nineteen, but I'm not as naive as they think I am. I was blessed enough that I didn't have to learn the hard way. I educated myself in what my rights were, and I was ready to fight for it.

Sorry...I don't mean to boast about all this. I just wanted to let people know about my experience. In case you ever encounter something like this yourselves. But, I'm so happy, I'm shaking! I actually feel smart for once. Perhaps I was dumb for putting money down to purchase the products in the first place, but at least I wasn't dumb about getting out of it properly. God is so good and faithful to me. It makes me feel totally awed. I don't deserve his grace, but he gives it freely. And, now, I am wiser in this area of life. Which is in my mind worth more than a king's ransom.

All I can do is THANK GOD!

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Dear Fire Tyger and Amanda:
There's always 2 sides to every story. I've had my waterless lifetime Carico cookware for almost 30 years and never once had any problems! I love the Carico cookware and would never ever cook in anything else. My grandma had her waterless cookware for over 50 years and my mom for 40! What a great investment this has been for all us and the many many other thousands of people that were lead by God to the presentations and are super super happy because of their decision to buy it! It's too bad you girls now have to go back to store bought cookware and all the problems you get with that- constant replacements and basically cooking with inferior pans. (we've all experiences them!) Your research should have been done with people who owned waterless, lifetime cookware, not just with people who cancelled their order. What did they really know, they cancelled their order and never had a chance to use it! Naturally when you are young you can't quite grasp 50 years from now. You only see the price tag. It's funny how people can justify hundreds and even thousands of dollars on computers, electronics, never ending cell phone bills, restaurants, expensive cars, bars, vacations, music and video equipment. The list goes on and on. Spend your money on something that will last forever, that's healthy and nutritious and will not wear out! You girls really missed the boat!! Oh well! That's my side of the story and I wanted to tell all the young gals reading this.

8:57 AM  
Blogger FireTyger said...

Emily: I do believe the products are nice, though over-priced. My issue is not with the products themselves but the manner in which the employees and the company hassled me when I changed my mind.

For young couples starting out, we don't really have that kind of money. I was blown away by how great the products seemed...and went against my better judgment. Realistically, I was not financially in a place to be that much in debt just starting out. I don't believe that one must go into debt for cars, computers, cell phones, etc. I have been married three years now, and I have always paid full in cash for those things. Debt is not a good thing.

What angered me, and I assume many people, is that Carico does not want to refund your money even though they have to within that ten day period. It is WRONG for them to break policy. Not to mention frustrating. If the product worked out for you, great. But for those who change their minds when they weight of that price tag hits them, they should be properly refunded without hassling and lies. People need to be aware that Carico has poor business ethics.

1:26 AM  
Blogger FireTyger said...

Amanda: I'm glad that this information helped you =)

1:27 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Amanda and Fire Tyger: I really appreciate the heads up. Just like everyone else, i had impulsively purchased a set and after doing a bit of research, am now going to fight for my money back! I still think the products were pretty good but I just can't stand unethical selling practices. And Emily, I don't mean to be so blunt but you sound almost verbatim to the carico representative I just spoke to..

7:06 PM  
Blogger Margarette said...

I was 19 when I bought my first set too. I have never regretted the $$!. It was some of the best money I ever spent. Hard sell tactic yes. Learning experience definately. The only reason I need to replace it is due to superstorm taking everything away from me. It is too bad that you got a crappy salesperson who gave you the impression that was how the company as a whole did business. It prevented you from saving a lot of money by never having to buy cookware ever again. Don't let inexpensive prices & an easy sell fool you into buying poisonous non stick stuff.

7:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Omg we got sucked into a demonstration last night with Carico. We filled out an application to see if we were eligible for financing and of course filled out an order form. After doing research on the company and finding out about the hard credit hit I called to cancel just one day later and Bruce the “owner” in Addison said we couldn’t and I should have listened better! I want to cancel and need help!!

4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

RoboCounter: free web counter
Walden University
NetFlix
NetFlix DVD Rentals Online

Eat tatoo dead tiger!